Sign in to follow this  
xl5er

Legacy Clock at Waldorf Astoria

After being stymied by security and unable to enter the former Union Carbide Bldg, in pursuit of another PTU thread, I crossed Park Ave and strolled through the Waldorf Hotel. Prominent in the middle of the registration room is this clock with a plaque describing it as being from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Beyond that, like Sgt Schultz, "I know nothing!" A cursory PTU search did not turn up any mention.

http://hotels.about.com/od/newyorkcity/ig/Waldorf-Astoria/Lobby-Clock.htm

I'll be in NYC until Saturday if anyone needs further ground truth.

BTW, the Waldorf seems gratifyingly in touch with its history. Outside windows show old photos of the building, and the lobby and public areas, while updated in occupants... Starbucks eg... remain true to their early century grandiosity.

You may remember one of Trey's CSIs featured FDR's train car entombed below the hotel in a secret station.

Yep, I noticed that about the Waldorf last time I saw it. Very nice.

Can't help with the clock.

You ever get over to Brooklyn Heights? Badly want a photo of the "Patty Duke House".

It's right off the waterfront promenade, 8 Remsen St.

The sights a girl could see from Brooklyn Heights are certainly not as limiting as the theme song would have one believe! Even on a gloomy day her prospect of lower Manhattan's waterfront and up the Brooklyn Promenade were impressive. The decayed waterfront directly below is being transformed into a park stretching to the Brooklyn Bridge. (Did Patty ever cross paths with Brando or Father Karl Malden?) http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/go/the-park/the-park-plan

post-3873-127499081781_thumb.jpg post-3873-127499083731_thumb.jpg post-3873-127499085969_thumb.jpg post-3873-127499087807_thumb.jpg

Traffic noise may have bothered Cathy's delicate sensibilities.

Great! Thank you, XL, with much profusion!

To continue this off-off-topic deal, here are a few grabs:

I made the trek to 8 Remsen when I went to the NYC Transit Museum a few years back. Really nice area of Brooklyn.