Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RocketThrower

FMCP in Television and Movies

Recommended Posts

Of course we all know of the Whiz, Men In Black so on and so forth.

But does anyone remember the begining of a show called "Mannix" where there was a scene done on top (yes, the roof top) of one of the NYS Pavilion towers?

Any other televison, movies filmed there? Anyone have any behind the scene photos of any of this?

With as many people that live in and around Flushing in Queen's, I would be sure there is a WF buff with some self taken snapshots.

A few obscure things I remember filmed or taken place there is:

1.A remake video of Cindi Laupers "Girls Just wanna have fun"

2.A video for the band "They Might be Giants" (filmed in the NYS Pavilion)

3. I just read in here somewhere that Batman TOS used a shot of the WF as Gotham Fair. This inspired me for this post.

Is there a list of such anywhere like this?

------------------

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mannix was done around L.A.. The program I think you are referring to is "McCloud", the Dennis Weaver "western" set in New York, which used to do some exterior shots around the City. In its introduction there was a quick panoramic shot of the NYS Towers then one of McCloud watching a bad guy rapel down off the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember the NY State Towers being used in an episode of McCloud (the show about the cowboy cop in NYC. This episode was about a man that kidnaps a woman and takes her up to the towers Eventually McCloud shows up with the rest of the heat, and saves the woman. Here's a great trivia question - What actress played the woman kidnapped and taken to the towers???

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 08-20-2002).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's it! I was not sure after I posted. Thanks for clearing that up. I think that particular scene was used in the beginning credits for a season or so. Forgive my error for I was very young at the time that show was primetime... biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gene:

Mannix was done around L.A.. The program I think you are referring to is "McCloud", the Dennis Weaver "western" set in New York, which used to do some exterior shots around the City. In its introduction there was a quick panoramic shot of the NYS Towers then one of McCloud watching a bad guy rapel down off the top.

------------------

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give you a clue! This actress went on to become a 70's TV star. She shared the spotlight with two other co-stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Futurama:

Give you a clue! This actress went on to become a 70's TV star. She shared the spotlight with two other co-stars.<HR></blockquote>

One of the Charlies Angles! Just guseeing...Kate Jasckson? I guess her for the fact I think she is the only one with guts enough to do such a scene.

------------------

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very close! It was Jacklyn Smith, who was trapped up on the NYS Towers, screaming for help! Remember the episode as if it were yesterday! I believe she played a high fashion New York model, in this episode.

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 08-21-2002).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only TV shows and movies that were filmed at the NYS Pavilion (I know, I was there)are:

1) Billy Graham outreach movie (shown at the fair);1965

2)From Here to Timbaktoo; 1970

3) McCloud; 1972

4) The Wiz; 1975

Notes: a) MIB was not filmed at the NYS Pavilion but did feature a mock-up of the towers, b)We once talked about #2 above and I am still waiting for someone to send me a copy of a promo photo featuring my cat that starred in this TV show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Futurama:

Very very close! It was Jacklyn Smith, who was trapped up on the NYS Towers, screaming for help! Remember the episode as if it were yesterday! I believe she played a high fashion New York model, in this episode.

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 08-21-2002).]<HR></blockquote>

Ahhh, Jacklyn Smith, the prettiest one of all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the mid-1970's, the local NYC television stations ran a very brief advertisement--perhaps 15 seconds in length--for MTA. There were a number of ads but I distinctly remember the scenes of Flushing Meadow Park--Unisphere, NYS towers etc. and a voice over: "Flushing Meadow Park; the site of two world's fairs, and MTA gets you there."

Just a bit of NY trivia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this counts or not, but I seem to remember that during the early 1970's that the company that took over the "Terrace on the Park" did a really low budget TV Commercial that I think aired during the Mets TV Games. Great call on "They Might Be Giants" Video for the song "Don't, Don't Let's Start". I also think the movie "Queens Logic" might have done some location work at FMP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything video or otherwise counts...can we think of any Album covers that had any NYWF legacy on them?

I have a B-52's greatest hits cd with the Unisphere on the cover. And it's title is even WFish "Time Capsule".

B0000062W1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Didn't the Beastie Boys have it on one of their covers too?

And a Steve Miller Band LP ("living in the 20th century")that has a sculpture and interior shot of the Perisphere done in art on the cover / back cover has the NCR's giant cash-register on it...all B&W art.

B000002T1J.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

quote:

Originally posted by marcthorner:

I don't know if this counts or not, but I seem to remember that during the early 1970's that the company that took over the "Terrace on the Park" did a really low budget TV Commercial that I think aired during the Mets TV Games. Great call on "They Might Be Giants" Video for the song "Don't, Don't Let's Start". I also think the movie "Queens Logic" might have done some location work at FMP

------------------

Peace

[This message has been edited by RocketThrower (edited 08-22-2002).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back in the early nineties

VH1 had a show which showed old music videos

(usually they were promotional or industry videos as there was no mtv yet)from the

sixties and early seventies.I think the

host of the shows name was Peter Noon.

I was watching one evening when a music video

for The Zombies "Time Of The Season"

(a major hit in the sixties)came on.The entire video was shot at the 64 fair.I may be mistaken but Im pretty sure it was the fair.

There were scenes at the United States Pavilion and I think I remember jersey bridges.I dont know I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that show called "8-track Flashback" and sometimes had David Cassidy hosting? I remember it showed videos and footage of bands way before MTV was even a concept.

I have been searching for the Zombies Video you spoke of, have had no luck as of yet...

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwb33:

I remember back in the early nineties

VH1 had a show which showed old music videos

(usually they were promotional or industry videos as there was no mtv yet)from the

sixties and early seventies.I think the

host of the shows name was Peter Noon.

I was watching one evening when a music video

for The Zombies "Time Of The Season"

(a major hit in the sixties)came on.The entire video was shot at the 64 fair.I may be mistaken but Im pretty sure it was the fair.

There were scenes at the United States Pavilion and I think I remember jersey bridges.I dont know I could be wrong.<HR></blockquote>

------------------

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure.I remember 8 track flashback did alot of seventies videos,as the 8 track was most prominent in the seventies.I think this show was a little bit before 8 track flashback,probably 1991-1992.The Zombies video will be tough to find.I have seen

books and CD compilations for the Zombies

but nothing on video.I suspect there were very few copies which are probably buried in

some record companies vault.Maybe you could write to VH1,as Im sure they probably have a copy in their archive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that there was another FMCP commercial back in the 70's when I was a kid. Don't remember all the details but I remember that it featured the zoo, carousel, and horses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King of Queens - Monday nights on CBS has an awesome shot of the Unisphere and NYS towers in a pastel-ization of the photo (during the opening credits)

Also the infamous seven-train is in there a couple of times, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DougSeed:

King of Queens - Monday nights on CBS has an awesome shot of the Unisphere and NYS towers in a pastel-ization of the photo (during the opening credits)

Also the infamous seven-train is in there a couple of times, too.<HR></blockquote>

Yes, I think At one time, the COSBY SHOW also had the Unisphere in the opening credits, as did the Conan O'Brien show.

I remembered last night when I saw a commercial on TVland, that Hazel (remember that oldie?) did an episode where the boy was into the 64 NYWF and had plans to go to it (or able to WIN a trip to it). I never seen the episode in it's entirety, but I remember some WF propaganda in the episode. I never knew if any scenes were ever filmed on location however.

And I could never forget the FLINTSTONES had visited the fair via a time machine.

And thinking back even further, I remember a scene in an old film. It had an actor that was big in his day (can't remember his name)who was entertaining a beautiful gal in a NYC highrise at night and she asked what that glow was out the window. He said "That is the New York World's Fair" (39-40).

Too bad there isnt some listing of all this somewhere. Would be fun to look over.

------------------

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<<Too bad there isnt some listing of all this somewhere. Would be fun to look over.>>

YOU are CREATING the list now!

Every list requires a person passionate enough about a subject to create a list in the first place!

I'm sure Bil would LOVE to post a section of World's Fair in the Movies and on TV - but first it takes someone to compile it .

Seems to me the list is now in the process of being created.

Some interested party simply needs to gather all of these postings into one!

(catch my drift, oh interested one?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one for the list:

There is the classic 1960's Twilight Zone episode where a plane trying to land at NYC goes back in time due to some msterious circumstances. When it finally breaks though the clouds the aircraft is over the NY World's Fair, however it is the 1939-40 version instead of 1964.

There is a brief aerial view of the Trylon and Perisphere along with the Fairgrounds.

Personally, knowing how history has turned out, I would have made them land, visited the fair, and them proceeded to make my fortune so I could prepare to buy the monorail from the next fair!

Randy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×