• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FDNYhistory

FDNYhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

On a recent visit to Chicago, I went to see the few remnants of the 1893 WCE that exist today. Obviously, essentially nothing is left but there are a few reminders, perhaps the most significant of which is The Wooded Island. It was a source of great debate between Frederick Law Olmsted, its designer, and Daniel Burnham, principal architect of the WCE. Today, a Japanese garden occupies the area of the island where the Japanese Temple stood during the Expo. In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary, the City recreated "The Republic", the grand statue of the Fair. Here are some photos. (My apologies to the Chicago locals who are very familiar with these.)

Attached File  IMG_1627a.jpg   40.32KB   135 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1625a.jpg   30.9KB   155 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1628a.jpg   83.02KB   148 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1634a.jpg   60.48KB   143 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1637a.jpg   44.35KB   145 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1644a.jpg   39.38KB   151 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1632a.jpg   19.67KB   121 downloads

#2 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

On a recent visit to Chicago, I went to see the few remnants of the 1893 WCE that exist today. Obviously, essentially nothing is left but there are a few reminders, perhaps the most significant of which is The Wooded Island. It was a source of great debate between Frederick Law Olmsted, its designer, and Daniel Burnham, principal architect of the WCE. Today, a Japanese garden occupies the area of the island where the Japanese Temple stood during the Expo. In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary, the City recreated "The Republic", the grand statue of the Fair. Here are some photos. (My apologies to the Chicago locals who are very familiar with these.)

Attached File  IMG_1627a.jpg   40.32KB   135 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1625a.jpg   30.9KB   155 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1628a.jpg   83.02KB   148 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1634a.jpg   60.48KB   143 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1637a.jpg   44.35KB   145 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1644a.jpg   39.38KB   151 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1632a.jpg   19.67KB   121 downloads

Wonderful pix! Thanks for sharing them!

#3 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

(My apologies to the Chicago locals who are very familiar with these.)

No apologies needed - always good to see new photos. Thanks!

#4 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

I remember reading several years ago that students at the University of Chicago were involved with a project to locate the precise sites of several of the most noteworthy attractions along the Midway. I believe that the located the massive concrete foundation of the Ferris Wheel. What a great project!

#5 Lisa Langlois

Lisa Langlois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yes, thank you for posting the photographs! My research is on the Japanese exhibits at this fair. Always interested in anything related to the exhibition and I didn't know about the project to locate exhibits on the Midway . Lisa

#6 eskarp

eskarp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

When I was a teenager in the early 1960s, there were still a couple of standing architectural artifacts from the Fair. These were buildings that were the original temporary constructions, over sixty years later! One was the "Fret Shop," a storefront on what had been the Midway. The Fret Shop was a hangout for University of Chicago folkies. They sold banjo spare parts, kaypos, strings, instruments, etc. The front room was the store, the back room was the tiny home of the proprietor, which contained a sink, gas stove from the 1920s (a genuine "QuickMeal," with a picture of a running chicken on the oven door), a toilet in a partitioned-off space, and truly frightening antique wiring hanging from the ceiling. The floor of the back room sank between six inches and a foot in one corner. I remember marveling that the place was standing because it appeared to be made of papier mache, or at least the ornamentation was. The entire block got urban renewed in either '6l or '62 before anybody thought to take photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users