Sign in to follow this  
Macdesigner

World Expo quotes

Hello, Im new here :)

I'm studying world expositions and how they reflect on society. I'm looking for any quotes that are 100% true and can be sourced i.e to make sure they were actually quoted. I've looked ( and looking ) on google, but I though that what better place to ask than a dedicated Expo forum !

Basically the aspect of the Expositions that interests me is how each show reflected the economic/cultural state of the Society...

Thank You

Just a day before President McKinley was shot at the 1901 Buffalo Pan-American Exposition, he spoke the following quote:

"Expositions are the timekeepers of progress. They record the world's advancement. They stimulate the energy, enterprise, and intellect of the people; and quicken human genius. They go into the home. They broaden and brighten the daily life of the people. They open mighty storehouses of information to the student. Every exposition, great or small, has helped to some onward step....These buildings will disappear; this creation of art and beauty and industry will perish from sight, but their influence will remain to 'Make it live beyond its short living, with praises and thanksgiving.'"

This summarized what many people of the era thought of World's Fairs. The Gay '90's and first decade of the 20th century were the golden eras of International Expositions, and this was felt especially in the United States, where World's Fairs helped in part turn the US into a major world power.

Just a day before President McKinley was shot at the 1901 Buffalo Pan-American Exposition, he spoke the following quote:

"Expositions are the timekeepers of progress. They record the world's advancement. They stimulate the energy, enterprise, and intellect of the people; and quicken human genius. They go into the home. They broaden and brighten the daily life of the people. They open mighty storehouses of information to the student. Every exposition, great or small, has helped to some onward step....These buildings will disappear; this creation of art and beauty and industry will perish from sight, but their influence will remain to 'Make it live beyond its short living, with praises and thanksgiving.'"

This summarized what many people of the era thought of World's Fairs. The Gay '90's and first decade of the 20th century were the golden eras of International Expositions, and this was felt especially in the United States, where World's Fairs helped in part turn the US into a major world power.

I've heard of that before ( well the first few words anyway ). Do you know of the book ( if it was ) published so that I can add it to my Bibliography. ( I'm not allowed to use Internet sources :(

Thank You.

I just found this and do not know if you still have time to create your works cited information. I know this has appeared in books (the McKinley quotation) but cannot think of precise titles at this moment. However, if you go to the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society website, you will likely find a listing of publications devoted to the Pan American. They would also have contact information so that you could directly speak to someone who would know those books. One I recall is entitled, Symbol and Show, and I believe it contains the McKinley quotation. Good luck in your search.

PS: There is another book that might help. I recall it is entitled (and this might not be exact): The Rise and Fall of Buffalo and it uses the Pan American Exposition as the focal point of the discussion (it was Buffalo's moment of greatest achievement). Again, the BECHS might be able to better direct you.

Looking around online, it's hard to come up with a list of the opening speeches from all the world's fairs. That would be really nice. I was thinking of Prince Albert's opening speech for the 1851 fair. I've read it before and there are some really good things in there, but I just can't seem to find this speech online. Albert did describe the fair though as "the fertile promotion of all branches of human diligence and the strengthening of the bonds of peace amongst all the nations of the earth."

I think Expo 2010 in Shanghai says it well, "World Expositions are galleries of human inspirations and thoughts. Since 1851 when the Great Exhibition of Industries of All Nations was held in London, the World Expositions have attained increasing prominence as grand events for economic, scientific, technological and cultural exchanges, serving as an important platform for displaying historical experience, exchanging innovative ideas, demonstrating esprit de corps and looking to the future."

The Expo 2010 is nice but it's from online. Prince Albert's opening speech is really tough to find online, but you could probably find it in a book somewhere.

Hi there

Just came across your posting now.

We have two pages on our website on Brisbane Australia's World Expo '88 that may be of interest to you - the first is a selection of quotes from the Expo - at http://www.foundationexpo88.org/quotablequotes.html'>http://www.foundationexpo88.org/quotablequotes.html

The second is the collection of Opening Ceremony and Closing Ceremony speeches from the Expo - http://www.foundationexpo88.org/openingandclosingceremonyofficialspeechesworldexpo88.html'>http://www.foundationexpo88.org/openingandclosingceremonyofficialspeechesworldexpo88.html

I hope this is a start!

With best regards

John McGregor

Foundation Expo '88

http://www.foundationexpo88.org