Thanks!

#17 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Here's another shot of the kids enjoying themselves at Century 21. This was at Chun King, which was busy introducing Chinese food to the American masses.
Posted Image

Hey, remember the "Around the World" miniature golf course in Lake George, NY that has the Paul Bunyan from the '64 world's fair? Well, a few holes later, there's an antique rickshaw! I wonder if that was a post-fair purchase, too? It's in the very back of this photo of Paul Bunyan, to the left of the Mexican hat, beyond the cactus. You can easily see the guy pulling it, but the rickshaw is hard to make out behind him, and it's cut off by the tree.

Here's Paul, looking good 40 years after the Fair, but check out the sign that's by he feet! We know he's from '64, but the sign has the T&P. That's how history gets rewritten.

Attached File  PaulBunyanFront.jpg   212.79KB   46 downloads Attached File  Sign_WF-T&P.jpg   257.64KB   43 downloads Attached File  Rickshaw Lake George.jpg   200.96KB   43 downloads

#18 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Here is the 1964 NYWF Chun King version, for comparison to their Seattle 1962 rickshaw, and comparison to the one at Lake George.
It looks like the canopy color might be the same as Lake George, although I can't imagine the fabric being the same surviving outdoors almost 50 years.

Posted Image

#19 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

Here are three photos that Doug took of the rickshaw at Lake George. using the camera in his phone.

Could be the one from the Lake Amusement area-- it's the same people who bought the Muffler Man (Oregon Timber Carnival).
Of course the fabric awning is different, as is the seat upholstery.
The main other difference seems to be that the Lake George people installed the pull yoke upside down. In both the 1962 pictures and the 1964-65 pictures, the little "cows horn" things on the end of the yoke are pointed down, to act as a rest when you set the yoke down on the ground. Having them point up is an installation error.
The hardware for the pull yoke attachment points seem to be mounted upside down as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Sure looks the same to me, other than the upside-down handle.

#21 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

I do see another small difference besides the upside down parts--

The Chun King rickshaw had a foot board (the board at the very front of the 'wagon') that looks about a half inch taller than the side boards of the 'box'. This is confirmed in other Chun King pictures from '64 and '65.
The one at Lake George has a footboard that's the same height as the side boards.

Of course that doesn't rule anything out. With this being 'out in the weather', probably *all* the wood parts have had to be replaced at one time or another.

The upholstery is not only a different color, but 'shaped' differently at the front of the armrest.

#22 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting those pix for me, Randy.

The radius on the fenders is different than the one in Randy's photo, too.

#23 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

If Chun King didn't refurbish the same rickshaw for use two years later in New York, it sure is darn close.

Randy- I thought you would enjoy this find I just made. Not only did Chun King recycle this rickshaw to the 1964 NY Fair, but they managed to leave the Seattle name plate on it!

chun-king-rickshaw.jpg

There may have been two rickshaws in NY, as I have shots showing a different wooden framework, different canopy design and in a completely different spot. You posted one earlier but I'll re-post for easier comparison. Both slides are dated July 1964.

chun-king-rickshaw-2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users