Sean F

Hello!

Hello everyone!

I am new here and love this site! I am fascinated with the NYWF and fairgrounds in Queens. Although I grew up in NYC and never went to the fair (I was born in 67) I have driven past the fairgrounds many a times, and wondered what it was like. Years ago, I think it was 1991, I did a inline skate race in Flushing Meadows. It was around the loop by the now defunct amphitheater. I have sat on the steps there and skated in and out of the columns in the front. At the time I had no clue as to it's significance and it's history with the city, I wish I knew then what I know now. It's a sad thing to see the whole park just sit there and deteriorate. One would think with the volume of money in and around NYC something would be done to rebuild and preserve all the existing structures. It's very sad, I hope one day something will be done and would love to be a part of the restoration. I'm an electronics engineer/electrician by trade and would gladly donate my time and efforts to such a project to see it brought back to it's glory days!

Good work on this site everyone!

Sean. B)

Welcome, Sean!

There's so much info buried here that it will take you half-a-lifetime to enjoy it all. That's because you also need to spend the other half of your life at www.nywf64.com

Enjoy, and thanks for posting. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts, observations and discoveries anytime.

Doug

Thanks Doug and Bill for the warm welcome and the info for NYWF64 site,

In glancing through it, in the AMF monorail section, in an aerial photo, it seems to me the skate race I did back then was around the exact route the monorail was on. Quite interesting to me, again not knowing then what I know now. One day I would love to own a collectors piece of the NYWF. I've been reading through this site for the last 3 days, a wealth of info! I'm obsessed!

Sean.

Hello yourself!

We've been through several software/server changes through the years, and many photos have been misplaced. The admins have been restoring these as opportunity permits. If you have a specific request, they can usually help.

Yes, respond to the particular topic with a request for picture restoration and we'll move it up the priority list. That does mean it can always be fixed, but we'll give it a shot.

Sean F. Funny! That(F) just happens to be the first initial of my last name. Makes me curious as to what your family name is.

Hi there.