lemog

3d reconstruction project with the BIE

I collaborate actually to a film project the the BIE, International Bureau of Exhibitions.

It's a project designed primarily for communication of BIE, its history but also history shows, those that have marked it history since its inception in 1931.

Of course, in the framework of this project, we did not find the exhibition in which I specialized, which does not mean that I would not continue alongside the other projects related to exhibitions French.

If the first major exhibition after the creation of the BIE and of Chicago in 1933, the first being validated by the BIE is that of Brussels in 1935!

This film BIE include 9 mini-movies 3d on 9 Exhibitions, from 1935 to today.

It's therefore a major project, which will make it on two years, that this still represents considerable work, both research and historical references, the 3D reconstruction itself or filmmaking.

As you can imagine, I'm not going to rebuild the entire contents of the nine expos, life would not be enough ... or should requisition Pixar for over a year!

No, it's mentioned each of these exhibitions, showing one or more pavilions that marked the event, which correspond to the theme of the exhibition.

It's not possible to consider replicating the national pavilions, this film aimed at all members of BIE or not, must not favor one country over another. But I can assure you that this would have simplified things!

Before to start, here's some pictures about this expo, to give the good feeling...

illus_spe35_21a_512.jpg

normal_serieII_09_800.jpg

normal_11_expo37_coul_serie_A_800.jpg

illus_spe35_05a_512.jpg

normal_serieII_03_800.jpg

illus_spe35_62_512.jpg

normal_illus_spe35_07a_512.jpg

illus_spe35_04a_512.jpg

normal_29_expo37_coul_serie_A_800.jpg

normal_serieII_09_800.jpg

I will now give some explanations on this part.

As I said, it's not to reconstruct the entire exhibition in Brussels 1935.

Each sequence of the film should not exceed 1 to 1mn30sec ... multiplied by the number of films ... he must not make the final film more than 15mn.

To enter this timing, it's necessary to choose elements from this exhibition are a reflection of it, a reflection of its theme, and why not a reflection of the time.

Don't think this is a pavilion of a nation, not to favor one country over another.

I remember that this film will be a communication tool for the BIE (Bureau International des Expositions), both to promote this organization, but also and especially to promote the Universal Expositions in the world. Note there are nearly 150 members of the BIE !

The choice for the Exhibition of 1935:

A very difficult choice, because even if this exposure was universal and international, it's not like others remained in the memories.

One of the few palaces and pavilions emblematic of the exhibition was of course one of the five palaces built in the Heysel, the principal, number 5, the Grand Palais.

This palace was required of himself as a code for recognition of the exhibition of 1935. Alas, in the context of a 3D reconstruction, the focus is usually to restore what has disappeared, not existing!

It turns out that the Grand Palace, as the four that 'surround were built to last, and thus continue to ensure their role as exhibition halls after the events of 1935.

Cruel dilemma! but none of the other pavilions of the exhibition, yet so many can not locate this exhibition in the eyes of the viewer, even a minimum warned!

The solution is to still retain the choice of the Grand Palais, visual choice, it is present in the film, but not as a main element. He must be perceived, making unequivocal exposure to which he belongs.

At this point, we must also find what are the pavilions, the hero of this movie?

In this election, I was assisted by Prof. Dr. Coomans, a people who know best the Belgian exhibitions, including the Brussels 1935.

Indeed, it quickly I switched it on a group of pavilions, located near the Grand Palais, pavilions I knew, which was already part of a first selection.

I immediately study a little more detail this whole work of a famous Belgian architect Henry Lacoste, who had already shown at the Exhibition of 1931 in Paris, with the completion of the Pavilion Belgian Congo .

At the exhibition of 1935, this architect has been busy and has held numerous pavilions. In this set, we find the pavilion of Catholic life, the Galerie des Arts Decoratifs, the Kiosk Statuary, the Pavilion of Greece, the Palace of the Commissioner General, etc. ...

It's the latter that I choose as the main element of the film.

Even if it doesn't really match the theme of the exhibition, it has many advantages for him. Its architecture, first with its Art Deco style in fashion, with its exotic side, also very in tune with the times, and for the originality of its conception, in contrast with many achievements of the period, of vivid colors, painted murals, glass tiles, bricks or tiles glazed in bright colors and other pavilions in the same style, in lush greenery. This set is definitely "the" song of choice for this exhibition!

Below, a map of the exhibition will situate these selections in the exhibition of 1935.

In red, the Grand Palace, which still exists. In yellow, the construction group, with the booth Statuary, the Palace of the Commissioner-General, and the Gallery of Decorative Arts, bean-shaped!

map_selection.jpg

Obviously, it was more convenient than this group of small houses are closer to the Grand Palace, because I will not venture to go meet the neighbors houses.

I'm going to use some tricks so that it would be too embarrassing, but certainly as using vegetation to hide the non-existent.

Anyway, the little park around these buildings was very green, as evidenced by the photo below!

normal_09_expo37_coul_serie_A_800.jpg

In the background of the image a strange pavilions with arrows and golden domes. This is the Pavilion of Catholic life, the same architect Henry Lacoste.

Alas, it's in the axis, when looking towards the Grand Palace from the park pavilions selected. Here, I haven't yet solved the problem.

Even if it's a pavilion that fascinates me, which I would like to make a 3d reconstruction, it's unwise to consider this for the current project, both for reasons of time, but also thematic .

Here are some additional informationw on the first element that I'm doing the film for the BIE, in this case, the Grand Palace of 1935 expo :

- 150 meters long,

- 87 meters wide,

- 31 meters high.

A structure consisting of 12 concrete arches :

- 12 000 cubic meters of reinforced concrete

- 1800 square meters of copper,

- 12 000 square meters of glass,

- 19 000 square meters of cementing.

The interior of the central hall is housed in Station Model. It is divided into two parts, one available free to the public, the other one being that a minimal fee.

The first part consists of a vast hall of Pas-Perdus.

We meet the installation of postal, telegraph and telephone exchange office, ticket offices and station model ... because it also celebrates the exhibition of 1935, the centenary of railways in Belgium!

There is also the Belgo-Luxembourg office of tourism, the Touring Club and the National Society of Belgian Railways.

In the middle of the hall is also a large fountain due to H. Puvrez.

there is also a large glass booth included the participation of international tourism.

In the second part of the station model, the public discovered before him twelve lanes of 85 meters long, occupied by the railroad equipment in Belgium and abroad.

The back wall evokes the Gare de l'Allée Verte in 1885, and in the middle of the hall of the station has installed a giant light map of Belgium, which constantly shows the status of the network and the number of trains.

Of course, there is no question in this project to replicate the interior of the Grand Palace, as it was at the Exhibition of 1935, it would be possible, another project in itself! (For 2035 perhaps?)

The Grand Palace will not be seen in closeup, but I will do the same internal structure so unique and very innovative for its time ... for two reasons, first is both curiosity to revive the technical side, and the pleasure of having something that stands ... the second is a specific internal structure allows to reconstruct the exterior with more ease!

Here is some additional photographs of the Central Hall:

normal_serieII_01_800.jpg

normal_illus_spe35_05b_512.jpg

interior of the model-station :

illus_spe35_09c_512.jpg

illus_spe35_27a_512.jpg

and to finish this foreword Project Expo Brussels 1935, some pictures of the Grand Palais du Heysel, taken few months ago, a remnant of this exhibition, number 5 !

normal_001_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_006_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_018_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_040_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_030_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_034_heysel_35_800.jpg

normal_037_heysel_35_800.jpg

Just for the fun, few pictures about the Grand Palais reconstruction in 3d... you will see the progress :

wip_1935_bruxelles_005_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_008_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_030_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_041_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_046_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_056_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_053_800.jpg

And the result, the Grand Palais du Heysel textured :

wip_1935_bruxelles_096_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_098_800.jpg

In the picture below, you can see the cover of the french magazine "L'illustration" special Expo35... I've tried to keep the same mood for my images.

wip_1935_bruxelles_100_800_bis.jpg

Now it is time to begin the modeling of other flags, finally, the main pavilions, due to the architect Henry Lacoste.

To begin, it will be the Statuary Kiosk, here's some photos :

normal_illus_spe35_12b.jpg

normal_09_expo37_coul_serie_A_800.jpg

normal_kiosque_guide.jpg

Significative pictures of the construction :

wip_1935_bruxelles_066_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_065_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_074_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_069_800.jpg

finished and textured :

wip_1935_bruxelles_105_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_104_800.jpg

It was amazing the extent to which the front facade of Lacoste's Grand Palais was changed for the 1958 Expo. It didn't even look like the same building, unless you study it very carefully.

I was told this was done with large sheets of painted plywood which were then removed after the 1958 Expo finished. When I visited in 1963, it once again looked much like it had looked in 1935.

I'm very glad you appreciate the result...

In fact, the Grand Palace is not the work of Henry Lacoste, but Joseph Van Neck, who was also the architect of the Heysel stadium.

Indeed, in 1958, the front received a new makeover with the installation of a modern decor and fashion of the time.

For now, this is not decided yet, but the 4th movie will be about the exhibition of 1958 and it is possible that I remade this famous facade very bright.

normal_alb_expo58_09_640.jpg

normal_alb_expo58_10_640.jpg

I lack the time, but I'd try to post here all the major stages of the realization of all these films.

Feel free to ask me questions ...

but one thing is for sure, I have a little less information on these exposures as those held in France in the past.

It is also a part of the challenge !

I will post the following soon ;-)

Modeling Kiosk Statuary completed, it is time to post the main pavilion of this "Lacoste Park," or rather "Vallon des Artistes"

so this is the Palace of the Commissioner General of the Exposition which will be realized, always designed by the architect Henry Lacoste, so here are some photos.

lo_exp35_pav_honneur_comm_gene_12.jpg

Photo of Palace of the Commissioner-General, taked bu the kiosk. Inset Henry Lacoste.

P1390233.JPG

Very bright colors, painted brick red, and green glazed tiles.

lo_exp35_pav_honneur_comm_gene_09.jpg

Fountains and frescoes by Fabry and Artot

lo_exp35_pav_honneur_comm_gene_08.jpg

The rear of the magnificent Palace of the Commissioner General.

illus_spe35_20b.jpg

Artist of the rear of the Palace (French magazine L'Illustration1935)

Now the reconstruction of the main pavilion :

wip_1935_bruxelles_076_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_079_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_080_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_083_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_085_800.jpg

I really appreciate the modelling cession, without textures, that permit to really feel shapes and appreciate more architectural originality !

And with textures made :

wip_1935_bruxelles_116_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_112_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_118_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_117_800.jpg

the style is really unique!

At this step, it remain the Art Décorative pavilion (the bean shape), and to do the environment... and to add visitors of course !

It all appears very marvelous.

Here are some references on the last pavilion to build for this film project.

This gallery of decorative arts is an arc, and is 150 meters long with a width of 17 meters.

Here were the exponents of the cabinet of industrial arts and applied. This gallery was divided in stalls reserved for productions by major Belgians industries.

I have unfortunately not many good photos to show you, here already, making the pond between the kiosk and the Palace of the General Commissioner :

illus_spe35_12a_800.jpg

This one is very bad, and shows the entrance to the gallery with its large rotunda columns :

go155_galerie_des_arts_decoratifs_800.jpg

And finally, a postcard color, but very retouched!

cpa_palais_artdeco_coul_800.jpg

Some snaps about the modeling of this last pavilion :

wip_1935_bruxelles_087_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_089_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_094_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_093_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_091_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_090_800.jpg

It's not the most beautiful pavilion, but I must acknowledge to really love this one, don't know why ! maybe the curious shape ;-)

And now with textures... near of the original, but simply made, this pavilion is not the main subject in the film...

wip_1935_bruxelles_111_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_109_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_108_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_107_800.jpg

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22px; ">In the film of expo 1935, it still lacks the most luxuriant vegetation, but also the essential elements of such events, visitors.

Very impressive work lemog!

Just out of curiously, what software package are you using for your digital modeling?

I use "Maya" of Autodesk (previously Alias Wavefront)... I have a very good feeling with this software... almost natural now !

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22px; ">In the film of expo 1935, it still lacks the most luxuriant vegetation, but also the essential elements of such events, visitors.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22px; ">In the film of the expo 1935, it still lacks the most luxuriant vegetation, but also the essential elements of such events, visitors.

And now, some last shots about this first film...

wip_1935_bruxelles_120_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_121_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_122_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_123_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_124_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_125_800.jpg

wip_1935_bruxelles_126_800.jpg

The next film will be about the 1937 expo in Paris...

Thanks Bill, glad to see you like these pavilions...

now you can watch the film on the BIE website :

im_int1935_BIE.jpg