Randy Treadway

Official Vehicles of the World's Fair

One of the Post Office Cushman scooters in front of the Missouri Pavilion, with the mailman just stepping back into the scooter after having collected mail from the mailbox.

Looks like the Post Office had their Cushmans modified to enclose the back end with a big box shaped shell.

[should the plural of Cushman be Cushmen ?] LOL

I guess the mailmen didn't have to stay in the street, but could drive up on the sidewalks.

3a_Missouri.jpg

Hi Randy,

I think you're overlooking what is probably your best Post Office Cushman photo. Here's one you sent me a couple of years ago that was taken in front of the Ford Pavilion during the '64 season:

post-387-126806676901_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Kevin

That family on the left near the Swiss Clock look almost staged or posed, don't they? Like for a publicity shot.

LOL- some people just look TOO happy. :)

Thanks for the pic Kevin!

I saw a pic yesterday of the little Fair Corp Datsun wagon following a Fair Corp cushman scooter. Like they were on their way to check out a broken fountain nozzle or something.

I can't believe we missed this snazzy little number.

357-002a_-_Exterior_-_August_1964.jpg

It was seen in August '64 in front of the Malaysia pavilion.

357-002_-_Exterior_-_August_1964.jpg

©Bill Cotter, Set 357, Picture #002

That last photograph made me think of the Clampetts going to the world's fair.

I suspect the top row, in silver letters, says CUSHMAN.

But the black stenciling is probably the local Fair Corporation marking... but I can't hazard a guess.

Bill, you have this slide and scanned it at 4000 dpi. You don't have a higher res capability do you? Also, before color restoration perhaps it might be a tiny bit more readable?

The first four characters of the black stenciling might be Sec /

...but that's just a guess.

If that's correct, it would probably indicate 'Security'.

I'm sure I have them in various shots but I can't recall labeling any as the main feature of a photo. I'm buried getting ready for a vacation this weekend so I would have to check in a week when I get back. Please remind me. Or hopefully some of other other photo fans can help out!

Oh, there is this picture of what we believe to be one of those carts on fire!

That will help in the restoration! LOL :D

Gotta include those historically accurate scorch marks.

• Like 1

Your avatar has the "Official Cushman World's Fair Dog", who is extremely unhappy he didn't get to go down to Flushing Meadow. :D

• Like 1

We now have evidence that two more vehicles were indeed part of the Fair Corporation's fleet, and were kept next to the Administration building to transport VIP guests.  They appear to be cut-down versions of the Fiat 850T minibus with a canvas top, perhaps with the makeover done by Ghia (who did a similar job on a smaller Fiat model to make a "beach car".  Very rare today.)

A thank you to our Facebook friend Marty Biniacz who shared a handful of photos that he said were taken by a team visiting from the New York State Fair shortly before the NYWF closed to look over vehicles and equipment that they may be interested in purchasing.  Apparently they didn't go for the two Fiats, but we're glad they took a photo anyway!

This was very late in 1965, so I notice the dents on the back. :)

11147233_950256675020814_1059952973033649459_o[1].jpg

We spotted them a few years ago in this picture from the Swiss Sky Ride- parked in front of the Spain Pavilion.

12002599_10206510559715996_8382494007623966640_o[1].jpg