Randy Treadway

Official Vehicles of the World's Fair

I have numerous pictures of vehicles passing through the grounds but don't have them indexed that way, so will have to add them as I stumble across them. Here are two I did have handy:

police-1.jpg

Nothing on the door, must have been an unmarked car. :)

police-2.jpg

It's hard to make out the details but I think the right hand car says Chevrolet under the police marking.

I think I found another photo of the vehicle in question in this Mike Kraus photo...

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4946

Still don't know what make and model it is, but it's definitely a World's Fair Police car...

some similarities to a Ford Cortina, but some differences too

1963-67-cortina-4-door-station-wagon.jpg

I have numerous pictures of vehicles passing through the grounds but don't have them indexed that way, so will have to add them as I stumble across them. Here are two I did have handy:

police-1.jpg

Nothing on the door, must have been an unmarked car. :)

police-2.jpg

It's hard to make out the details but I think the right hand car says Chevrolet under the police marking.

It might say Chevrolet, but it looks like a Dodge or Plymouth. If it's blurry, Plymouth has the same number of letters as Chevrolet. :)

The first photo looks like one of those Jeep Wagoneers.

These are pics of the 1967 model which has the small red repeater lights above the brake lights, but Im sure its the right car. It was released in 1964.

post-4018-126716627158_thumb.jpg

post-4018-126716629173_thumb.jpg

I do believe you are right, Randy - of course! Really cranking up the zoom and looking at the letters on both cars makes me think it's Plymouth and not Chevrolet.

The one on the right has a nasty dent on the back end. The pictures was taken in 1965 so they probably weren'tspending money on things like dent removals.

Here's a few more...

I'm not sure what these are...

post-387-126687631654_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter worldsfairphotos.com

Cropped from CD 20, Set 105, Image 15

I really think that this is nothing that exotic or rare (other than they are all gone due to rust). It looks like a DATSUN 411 wagon.

See the below:

post-3715-126745440931_thumb.jpg

David B.

It would be unusual for an American Fair Corporation to buy Japanese at that time. They were almost unknown in this country, although a few dealerships were sprouting up.

It's more likely that Datsun America gave (or loaned) this car to the Fair Corporation in order to 'get it out there in the public eye'.

P.S.- I think the Post Office had a cushman scooter also, dedicated to Fairgrounds use. It made rounds to deliver and pickup mail at all the pavilions, as well as to collect mail from the many mailboxes.

It was painted in the traditional Post Office color scheme of the time- predominately blue- if I remember right. It's in pictures here somewhere.

How about this one?

At first glance I immediately thought Step Van.

But looking closer, I'm not so sure what it is. It does have the NYWF logo on the side, along with the emergency beacon light on top.

65-10-15-17a_Main_Mall.jpg

Yes, looks like it's a Step Van, even down to the position of the red flasher lights right above the front headlights.

Bill, SWAT team occured to me too. :)

Here is a 1964 ad from Chevrolet. Looks like they offered 2 different styles of Step Van, and the NYWF is the style on the right- the orange one.

64chevyvansdouble.jpg

Here it is, in a 1964 brochure from Chevrolet

64panelvanc.jpg

Did they even require tags to be driven around the "private property" of the Fairgrounds?

It was private property so vehicles didn't require license plates, I think. I drove the gar and the big bus but I did not have a commercial bus drivers license because I was only driving within the Fair on private property. Greyhound only required us to have an ordinary drivers license. I didn't get a CDL until after the fair was over when I got it for part time bus driving and taxicab driving jobs while attending college (which I only went to after the fair). I had to rent a school bus to pass the road test. Driving a school bus (with unsynchronized manual transmission and a big front end sticking out) was quite different from the Greyhound bus.

As for that barely marked police vehicle - I rarely if ever saw police at the Fair. I guess that was the Pinkertons, and I guess they'd call in the city police in the rare case of a serious crime. Nowadays they'd need about 10,000 times as many police.

wow, this topic is getting even more mileage than I thought it would :)

and some of us thought we had exhausted all possible conceivable topics about the '64-64 NYWF a couple of years ago...ha! there is no end....

• Like 1

Scooter #104. This one doesn't have the red stenciling on the front.

Duellie front tires? Probably just an optical illusion. :)

32a_Court_of_the_Moon_and_Lunar_Fountain.jpg

Here is something new. A couple of minibuses outside the Spain Pavilion; one with open sides like a tram.

I doubt these were part of the Fair Corporation's vehicle fleet.

31a_Fountains_of_the_Fairs.jpg