Randy Treadway

Official Vehicles of the World's Fair

Since we were talking about AMC's non-presence at the Fair, the thought occured to me- did the Fair Corporation have any AMC vehicles in its stable?

Official Fair vehicles pop up in photos from the Fair from time to time.

How many can we name by manufacturer/model? I'm talking about the vehicles, usually painted white, with the official logo on the side.

Of course there is the ubiquitous Cushman three-wheeled scooter.

The Fair also had some cheap-looking station wagons. Can anyway find a picture of one of those and identify it?

And if I'm not mistaken I've seen a Land Rover! But that may have been in late '66 or early '67- I don't know if they had it while the Fair was still open.

Here is one of the station wagons at the time of President Johnson's visit to help open the Venezuela Pavilion in June '64.

I didn't say these would be great views to identify the make and model! haha but with that rear roofline visible, maybe it's enough for somebody here to I.D. it.

05b_Opening_Ceremony_at_Venezuela_Pavilion.jpg

06b_Opening_Ceremony_at_Venezuela_Pavilion.jpg

This picture is dated November 1966 on the slide mount and was taken in front of the Unisphere, with most pavilions gone in the background. It looks kind of like a Land Rover?

66-11-01-07a_Unisphere.jpg

Looks like it's a Wagoneer- either a '63, '64, or first half of the '65 model year. Midway through the '65 model year they changed the front grill appearance.

That's impressive Scrock! :)

I think we have some better pictures of those station wagons, although I don't have them indexed as such, so hard to locate.

When it comes to cars from the 50s,60s or 70s I dont need more than a small piece to itdentify them.

Here's a few more...

I'm not sure what these are...

post-387-126687631654_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter worldsfairphotos.com

Cropped from CD 20, Set 105, Image 15

post-387-126687634394_thumb.jpg

Cropped from CD 41, Set 205, Image 26

This might be a Dodge wagon...

post-387-126687632491_thumb.jpg

Cropped from CD 27, Set 146, Image 26

This one looks like a Dodge station wagon too...

post-387-126687635308_thumb.jpg

Cropped from CD 41, Set 205, Image 35

And I'm going to go out on a limb and say this one might be some sort of General Motors product... :P

post-387-126687633367_thumb.jpg

Cropped from CD 41, Set 201, Image 2

Yep, that middle one is the unmistakable profile of a station wagon from the Chrysler Corp, and the number of letters on the grill in the second of those photos nails it as a Dodge.

The first photo looks a little like an Opel? Not sure though.

I wonder if the NYWL's Fair Corp archives includes a file on their vehicle purchases, maintenance records and eventual disposition?

I also wonder if the Unisphere logo on the side of all these vehicles was taken from the same decal supply that they stuck on the garbage cans. :)

I think it was Yadda Yadda (Kevin Carsh) who identified a Panhard in one of the photos a few years ago. Might have been YesSongs (Steve).

I remember because the emblem looked like it read Packard. I recently saw a Panhard on a classic car TV show. That makes TWO that I've ever seen!

It was also strange that the WF would have a foreign car in its motor pool.

As for the decals, the way Moses spent money, there were probably 10 versions of them all within a 1/4" of each other.

I think that photo with the Panhard was shot in the days just before the Fair opened, when they let pavilion employees park inside the Fairgrounds.

We spotted the same Panhard car a second time in a photo taken by Dinkelacker beer for promotional purposes, and the Panhard seemed to be parked in the exact same spot as the first photo.

Hmmm, thinking about that photo.... that pickup could be loaded in at least three ways, and if the load is loaded, then..... hmmmmm. :blink:

Did the Panhard have a WF logo on it?

(BTW, it was AMF Monorail - Randy Lambertus who stunned us with the identification of the car as a Panhard - back in 2004)

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=3444&st=0

Sounds like there were some great photos in that thread, any chance of restoring them?

Did the Panhard have a WF logo on it?

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=3444&st=0

Sounds like there were some great photos in that thread, any chance of restoring them?

All the photos in that topic are now restored. :)

The view of the Panhard doesn't show the door, but I doubt there was a Fair decal there. This looks like a pre-opening construction employee "bring your family" day, when they allowed private vehicles inside the gates.

I assume these are all private vehicles which were brought on "pre-opening family day for construction workers", so the question is how they got away with driving around without a front tag in the NYC area.

But.... we have to have front tags here in California too, and recently my son drove around without a front tag for about six weeks and nobody stopped him or said anything. He was prepared with a bent up tag in the glove compartment to show if anybody asked- from a fender bender. He was waiting on a replacement tag to come in the mail.

Could it be that these workers commuted daily from New Jersey, and N.J. didn't have a front tag requirement? ....just a guess...

I assume these are all private vehicles which were brought on "pre-opening family day for construction workers", so the question is how they got away with driving around without a front tag in the NYC area.

But.... we have to have front tags here in California too, and recently my son drove around without a front tag for about six weeks and nobody stopped him or said anything. He was prepared with a bent up tag in the glove compartment to show if anybody asked- from a fender bender. He was waiting on a replacement tag to come in the mail.

Could it be that these workers commuted daily from New Jersey, and N.J. didn't have a front tag requirement? ....just a guess...

Update-

I cruised through photos of the Port Authority Heliport parking lot in Feb '64, and during-the-fair parking lots in the summer of '64 at Flushing Airport and at Meadow Lake. Not a single front plate to be found!-- except for one at the Flushing Airport, and that one looks like something other than New York.

Maybe N.Y. didn't require front plates back then.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4939

Cropped from CD 20, Set 105, Image 15

Any ideas what this car is from Yadda Yaddas post?

My first impession was a Ford MKI Cortina Wagon, but there are no 1/4 windows in the back doors, although the hip line scallop is almost right.

The driver seems to be wearing a bluish-gray uniform.

The lettering on the door is blurry, but I wonder if this was a pinkie-mobile? :)

It looks like Police on the door, so you may be on the right track.

I think I found another photo of the vehicle in question in this Mike Kraus photo...

post-387-12671215337_thumb.jpg

Still don't know what make and model it is, but it's definitely a World's Fair Police car...